Whalesong Project – Citizen Science Radiation Testing
Guidelines for Sending Material for Testing
- We are currently testing only dried seaweed and dehydrated fish, unless by written agreement.
- We are only able to identify gamma emitting radionuclides at the present time (example: Cs134, Cs137)
- Email us at here before sending samples to get approval and shipping instructions.
- Please double bag samples in zip lock bags.
- Include information on your sample, including location it was gathered at, species, and any notes.
- The preferred quantity for each sample for best results is 1 Kg by weight or 1 Litre by volume.
- For both dry fish and seaweed please grind it in a blender if possible, so that the most volume can be put in a 1 litre beaker.
Information we need:
- Date and time sample was collected
- Location and GPS coordinates at place of collection
- Name, phone number, email address
ON PACKAGE WRITE “SAMPLE” ATT: WHALESONG LABS
We will contact you by email after testing your material. We will not return material to you, but will give you information on the test results. This is a Citizen Science volunteer program. We are learning as we go. Our purpose is to try to understand the extent human contributed radioactivity in the Pacific Ocean. We do not charge for this testing service and we make no claims about the accuracy of the results. No performance guarantees are expressed or implied. We will be expanding and improving our lab as funding permits. Donations are gladly accepted and are tax deductible.
WE ACCEPT ONLY SAMPLES OF EDIBLE MATERIALS FROM THE OCEAN
WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY MATERIALS FROM NUCLEAR SITES